Tuesday, July 25, 2006

XIII Page 008 & 009

Well, there goes the neighborhood.
In case you haven't noticed, I haven't updated for a week. I've been busy. With life and stuff. I do not know why making the comic like this has become so complicated, particularly when trying to have some precision, some... I don't know... Quality. Soon, XIII will be over, right? RIGHT?!
I wish. Today, I'll talk about two of my other inspirations for XIII: Anime and Videogames, and will provide some of the specific examples that inspired me in this thing.
First, is one of my favorite artists, Yoshitoshi Abe. His works, from Lain to Haibane Renmei and Robot, have always left a deep mark within myself. Not only they inspire me artistically, they give me a chance to see a different world and feel it as my own. And someone, I really do. The worlds in these works are always a mutable thing, something unpredictable and dynamic. And then this hits the characters and they become trapped in this mutable, unpredictable world... Sometimes, they being the cause of it. This is my little, pathetic homage to that.
The other thing that has influenced this story is the Silent Hill games, which are, in essence, similar to what I mentioned in the previous paragraph. The influence here will become more obvious, though, because XIII doesn't have a single ending. In other words, I will write, draw and post here 4 different endings for the same story, all equally important, all part of the mutable world, all reflecting different things about myself and my world vision. XIII is, ultimately, just a stepping stone, the beginning of a bigger experiment. Either way, if you follow this on a regular basis, you will have to read the endings in order... Just like the Silent Hill videogame, but without having to replay through the whole thing over and over again.
The next comics after XIII's 4th and final ending will probably be crazy one-shots about stupid things in life, before we begin with Dreamless, which should be around twice of XIII's length, and possibly more detailed and strange.
I need to work on my art after this, though... I am not satisfied with it, and how I want to express Dreamless.
Maybe my initial idea will be totally scrapped, and Dreamless will become an entirely different beast. At this point, I really don't care. I just need to get it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Allright!, cant wait for the forth-ch... ending

ad